Monday, February 18, 2013

Old Fashioned Chinese Peanut Cookies 花生饼

After Pai Tin Kong (CNY day 9) , as a Hokkien I considered i have almost done with CNY celebration. Anyway i still have few plans till CNY day 15 on this coming Sunday..To my Chinese bloggers and readers, how was your CNY celebration? I guess everyone must be very busy visiting friends and relatives, attending lunch or dinner and etc..me too either.. In fact, i have no time to on my PC to update my blog, visit other blogs and reply reader's questions, even my kedai runcit (shop) have to temporary tutup kedai (close shop), ^_^..
Ok, come back to this peanut cookies, it was requested by my hubby on the last minutes before re-union dinner. I remembered my mom did this cookies when we were young, so I called to my mom to check with her the recipe, as usual, i got a agak-agak (estimation) recipe..what i remembered she told me to use equal bowl of peanuts and flour (it doesn't meant it is equal in weight) and one important ingredient is pork lard oil..this is the key ingredient to make it tasty!!
I again almost want to cry after tasted my first peanut cookies, it was so so good, very nice peanut aroma and simply melt-in-mouth, recall my childhood memory, so nostalgia !!



IMG_7509 copy

First, wash it clean and dry under hot sun..(I think it is ok not to sun dry but straight roast it)

IMG_7437


make sure to roast it completely cooked and golden brown otherwise the cookies will taste raw ..

IMG_7456

Soft and smooth dough ready for shaping..

IMG_7484

I also asked my mom how to make the round pattern on the cookies? she said last time she use those sewing thread cone..She is true, use this cone made  nice and round pattern , hehehe..

IMG_7492

ready to go into oven..
IMG_7503 copy


IMG_7505

This cookies only last till CNY day 2...My husband even warned Lucas not to finish this cookie when CNY day 1 as he was practising full vegetarian meal on day 1 so he could not take this cookie, LOL !!
I also like the sexy crack looking of this peanut cookies ^_^

IMG_7545 copy

Old Fashioned Chinese Peanut Cookies 花生饼
(recipe source: Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover’s mom recipe)

3 cups roasted and skinned peanuts or ground nuts
IMG_7516 copy 3 cups plain flour
1 cup icing sugar
1/4tsp salt
1/3 cup pork lard oil (fry small cubes of pork fat in a clean wok, till lard oil come out)
3/4 cup cooking oil (with peanut flavours)

1 egg yolk, for glaze

Method

To prepare roasted peanuts
1. Wash and clean the peanuts.
2. Sun dry peanuts or straight put into a clean wok without oil
3. Roast peanuts over low heat till cooked and golden brown, stir from time to time.
4. Set aside to cool, then remove the skin.

To make peanut cookies
1. In a food processor, finely chopped peanuts. Set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine sugar, flour, salt and chopped peanuts.
3. Add in lard oil and slowly add in cooking oil to form a soft and smooth dough.
4. Pinch dough and weight 10g each, roll to ball size and place on a lined baking tray.
5. Use a sewing thread cone to press on the center of each cookie to create a round pattern. Brush top of the cookies with egg glaze.
6. Bake at a pre-heated oven at 170C (no fan forced at middle rack) for 20mins.

IMG_7533 copy


I am submitting this post to Chinese New Year Delights 2013 hosted by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover






0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 CBS-Local-nasilemaklover. Powered by Blogger
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Wordpress by Wpthemescreator